This Digital Roundtable was held on Wednesday, March 25 at 3:00pm ET.
Mr. Chekitan S. Dev, professor of marketing at Cornell University’s School of Hotel Administration in the SC Johnson College of Business, shares on the topic "Marketing in a Crisis: What Should Independent Hotels Do?"
With occupancy in the single digits, rate being lowered by 20-50%, and expenses being cut 20-50%; how can hoteliers minimize the damage coronavirus will have? Using the 2008 recession as an indicator- when revpar dropped 25% whereas today Smith Travel Reporting is expecting a 75% drop in revpar for the quarter.
What ideas do you have that improve a hotel’s success during this time?
- Do Temperature checks for guests & staff
- Provide masks and hand sanitizer at the front desk and all over the hotel
- Inquire about guests that are traveling in areas that are not locked down
- Keep guests separated at least 6 feet (2 meters) from each other
- Send safety signals about all the measures you are taking to keep guests and employees safe
- Educate your employees about how to handle guests' concerns
- Reset the hotel- guest relationship by updating databases and reaching out
- Capture local demand from staycations & daycations
- House stranded travelers
- Offer low or no cost lodging to health care providers & first responders
- Sign up to provide quarantine rooms at cost
- Maintain your pricing - keeping an eye on the competition
- Let your guests know you are a safe place
Plus, poll results from our Roundtable looking at planned marketing spend & which marketing aspects people plan to ramp up and cut back on.
Want the recording?
To access the recording, please fill out this form.
If you'd like to sponsor any future Digital Roundtables, email us!
About Professor Dev
Chekitan S. Dev, PhD, is professor of marketing at Cornell University’s School of Hotel Administration in the SC Johnson College of Business, where he has received multiple awards for teaching excellence. A globally renowned thought leader with over 125 publications to his credit, Dev is recognized as the leading expert on hospitality marketing and branding, and has won numerous research awards. An active consultant, expert witness, keynote speaker, and workshop leader, Dev has served corporate, government, education, advisory, legal, and private equity organizations in over 40 countries on six continents. A sought after commentator on hospitality and travel trends, he is also active in professional and community service, serving as reviewer for peer reviewed journals, advising hospitality startups as a board member, and served the AHLA Chairman’s Marketing Task Force and Tompkins Tourism Marketing Committee, as well as teaching in the Hotel School’s Entrepreneurship Boot Camp for Veterans.